10 Things I Learned in High School

High school is such a unique time in life. It’s this weird transition between childhood and adulthood filled with change and growth. The past four years have been filled with innumerable great times, as well as challenges I didn’t think I would get through. Looking back 20 years from now, I won’t remember how to do the Quadratic Formula or MLA citations. Instead, I will always remember the life lessons I’ve learned over the past four years. Here are the 10 most important things I’ve learned in high school:

1. How to Make Mistakes Well

Failure is always hard to deal with, but learning how to make mistakes well will help you tremendously. If you make a mistake you first have to own up to it, then learn from it. Wallowing in the fact that you messed up will not help any part of the situation.

2. The Importance of Keeping Faith First

High school gets busy, and there are definitely stressful times. It’s easy to put your faith on the back-burner. Keeping up your relationship with God will get you through a lot of hard times. Having that strong foundation of faith is so important during this time in your life, and at the end of the day it’s all you’ve got.

3. How to Do What I Love

Do what you love and do it often. First of all, there’s a 90% chance that no one is judging you. Second of all, anyone who is does not matter. If you’re following your passion and doing what you love, anyone’s opinion of it doesn’t matter. You can’t get time back, so don’t waste it worrying what others think.

4. The Importance of Having Healthy Relationships with Adults

Learning how to have mature conversations and good relationships with adults who are here to support me was extremely helpful because, believe it or not, adults can be pretty smart sometimes. Having people you can go to that have been there and done that (and who aren’t your parents) is priceless in the craziness of high school.

5. Time Management

High school either teaches you time management or teaches you that you need to work on time management.

6. Growing Apart From People is Okay

I wish I had learned this one sooner.  I spent so much time forcing friendships because I didn’t want to lose that person. People will move in and out of your life, and that’s okay. Most importantly, it doesn’t minimize the importance of the time you spent together.

7. You’re Never Too Cool

Don’t be that kid who doesn’t care (or pretends not to care). Being genuinely interested in and invested is important, and far cooler than trying to act “too cool for school.”

8. Honesty is Everything

Being honest will get you far. First, be honest with yourself. It’s okay to have weaknesses, but you can’t improve them if you won’t admit them. Second, you will always get caught in a lie. It might be months down the road, but it will catch up with you.

9. How to be Open

Talking about yourself can be difficult, especially when it involves tough emotions. Learning how to share what’s going on in your life with trusted friends is so important to staying healthy and sane in high school. Also, you never know how much sharing your own experiences can impact someone.

10. It’s Okay to Ask for Help

Ask for help. Ask for help. Ask for help. You’re not bothering anyone, you’re not weak and you’re not stupid. Asking for help is hard, but waiting will only make things worse. Whether it’s a personal struggle or a school assignment you just don’t get, reach out to those people who can help you.

These lessons have been key to maturing throughout high school. I hope these are all something you can learn from and take with you throughout your life.