Irish for a Day

St. Louis St. Patrick’s Day Run

Whether you’re of Irish descent or will pretend to be for the day, everyone loves to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. With exciting parades and organized runs going on, there is something for everyone to do!

Although St. Patrick’s Day is actually on Friday, March 17, many festivities take place the weekend before. Popular among St. Dominic students, the Cottleville Parade and Run is on Saturday, March 11. The day starts off with a 7K run and a fun run at 8:00 AM, followed by a parade through Cottleville at noon. St. Dominic Athletic Director, Mr. Jim Welby, is especially involved with this event and encourages students to come out and partake in the celebration.

Maggie’s Team at the Cottleville St. Patrick’s Day Run

“Through my daughter’s foundation, which is the Maggie Welby Foundation, we have a group of runners that we enter into the Cottleville Run as part of Maggie’s Team. We get a large group that comes in and runs, made up of adults, high school kids and grade school kids. After that, we have a float in the parade which is basically to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and raise awareness for my daughter’s foundation,” said Mr. Welby.

Also on Saturday is the Annual St. Louis St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Run. Beginning at 9:00 am, the five mile run takes people through downtown and midtown St. Louis. Afterwards, the parade begins at noon. Recognized as one of the biggest and best parades in the country, the parade consists of floats, marching bands, balloons and clowns.

“Last year I went to the St. Louis Parade, and it was a very fun and unique experience. I would definitely recommend it,” said sophomore Kyla Flor.

Another celebration this Saturday is the First Annual Wentzville St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Run. Starting at 8:00 am, there is a 5K race, followed by a one mile fun run. The race takes runners through Wentzville’s Historic Downtown Village Center. After that, the parade begins at 10:00 am. From 11:00 AM to 11:00 AM Saturday and 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM Sunday, there will then be a two- day, open air festival that includes street vendors, food trucks and live music.

With so many different options to choose from, everyone will definitely be able to have a good time celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with their friends and family. Wherever you end up and no matter what the weather, have fun being Irish for the day!