Celebrate Good Schools, Come On!

Pajama day, root beer floats and food drives…but why? These are just a few of the ways St. Dominic is celebrating Catholic Schools Week. This annual, nation-wide celebration of Catholic schools is a fun time around St. Dominic to reflect on the importance of our school.

Senior Maddy Bauer and Mrs. Beckmann

Monday saw a sleepy start to the week with pajama day. Students, faculty and staff showed up to school in their comfiest clothes. In the afternoon, the school came together as a community for a pep rally to recognize our winter sport seniors. The pep band provided entertainment, along with the dance and cheer teams’ fantastic routines. Though the juniors and freshmen dominated in the student council run games, the seniors won the spirit stick due to their loud, spontaneous cheering.

In the true spirit of Catholic Schools Week, we came together as a community again for Mass on Tuesday. The students also received a special surprise from Mrs. Eaton at the end of the day: root beer floats! Wednesday came with another opportunity to celebrate as 18 Crusader athletes signed to play at the collegiate level.

Thursday brought out the school’s wild side with a tropical themed dress down day. Now, Friday wraps up the week with soup-er-bowl day. Today, students dressed in their favorite team colors and brought in cans of soup to be donated.

In addition to the many celebrations and treats, students have been bringing in toilet paper all week as part of a competition with our rival school, Duchesne. The winner of the toilet paper drive will be announced at the boy’s basketball game tonight, and it will then be donated to Sts Joachim and Ann Care Centers. The basketball game is set to be a blast as well. The atmosphere when we play Duchesne is always electric, and grabbing a bite to eat at food trucks such as Pyro Pizza, Sarah’s Cakes, Yo Salsa, Zia’s and Kona Ice before the game will make it that much better.

As this amazing week comes to a close, it’s important to remember what this week is all about.

“Catholic education is so expected for us. It’s like breathing. So this week is an amazing opportunity to realize the great opportunity we have here,” said President Ms. Cathy Fetter.

Catholic Schools Week is always a beautiful opportunity to celebrate our school, as well as Catholic education nation-wide.