Fall Field Hockey: A Possibility For Our Crusaders?

Field hockey fans now have something to look forward to this coming school year. A girl’s field hockey team is currently in the works and could be taking the field in fall 2017 at St. Dominic. If everything falls into place, St. Dominic’s first ever field hockey team will join other local high schools such as Ursuline and St Joe’s Academy in this exciting and competitive sport.

The idea to start a field hockey team was first brought to the Athletic Director, Mr. Jim Welby, by freshman Hannah Johnson. Johnson has been playing field hockey for six years and is eager to represent her school by playing her favorite sport.

“It would mean everything to me to play for my school. It’s been my dream to play in high school,” said Johnson.

Johnson isn’t the only student interested in forming a field hockey team. A group of girls has already been formed in support of bringing field hockey to our school. With this enthusiastic group of athletes, it won’t be long before a Crusader field hockey team will be able to compete with the best of them.

“It would be fun to play against my friends from other schools and see who’s better,” said Johnson.

Despite all of the support, there is a lot that goes into forming a new high school team, and the St. Dominic athletic department is still in the process. Since there are many pieces of equipment needed to play, fundraising and donations will play a large factor in the assembly of the team.

“It’s certainly not a done deal by any stretch of imagination. Most of this is gonna fall throughout the budgeting process which will take place over about the next month or so, ” said Mr. Welby.

While a field hockey team at St. Dominic is a big “maybe,” it is still very exciting. If you are interested in playing this fall, make sure to email Mr. Welby for more information.