Povis is Poppin’: The New Chaplain

The faith life at St. Dominic is about to take a turn for the better with the addition of new part-time chaplain Father Zach Povis. You may have seen him at Monday morning Masses or popping into your religion classes, but Archbishop Carlson formally introduced Father Povis at the last all-school Mass. Fresh out of the seminary, Father Povis will be walking our halls and preaching Christ’s message to the students.

St. Dominic has not had a chaplain since 2013, so Father Povis is a welcomed addition to our community. His current assignment is at Assumption Parish as their newest associate priest, but he is ready to dive right in at St. Dominic as well. Around school, his goal is to focus on the students by teaching them the amazing aspects of our faith.

“My passion, what I’ve always wanted to do, is high school work. If I had not gone into the seminary, I would probably be a high school English teacher. That’s just always what I have wanted to do,” said Father Povis.

Graduating from DeSmet in 2007, he went straight into the Kendrick Glennon St. Louis seminary. He has a degree in theology and philosophy, and is ready to share his knowledge with our students. Someone who greatly cares about the students and their religious journeys is exactly what is needed at St. Dominic.

“Especially at the high school age, students need to be convinced why should this matter. Why is this stuff important? Why does Jesus matter and what’s the point? Well, those are legitimate questions that I think high school students ask or should ask. It is important to think and it is important that a Catholic school will provide the answer,” said Father Povis.

This year Father Povis’ goal is to get his foot in the door at Dominic and start creating relationships with the students and faculty. In the future, he hopes to have stronger connections and spend more time here teaching Christ’s message.

Next time you see Father Povis, make sure to say hello to St. Dominic’s new chaplain.