Bringing Glory to Us All

Picasa

The Glory Award recipients pose for a picture together.

The Glory of Missouri Awards are highly respected titles based on virtue and are awarded to middle and high school students. St. Dominic provides these prestigious awards to fourteen exemplary students in the sophomore class. Each of these individuals represent one of the fourteen virtues: Justice, Equality, Virtue, Temperance, Liberty, Law, Truth, Education, Knowledge, Charity, Fraternity, Honor, Progress and Enterprise. The recipients of this award are students who stand out among their peers for their extraordinary work ethic and qualities.

Alexandra Kelsch: Knowledge

The student who receives recognition for this award must not only be book smart, but also be aware of the state of information. Kelsch exemplifies the virtue of knowledge in her life and it is clearly recognized by all who know her. She always tries her hardest to do well academically, to make good decisions and to help friends when they have a problem. Overall, she would consider Knowledge to be a large part of her life.

“This award was a great honor for me. I never really excelled in athletics or other activities, so my academics and knowledge have been what I worked hardest on and took pride in growing up. I was so grateful to receive the award of knowledge, and it feels wonderful to be chosen,” said Kelsch.

Rose Stout: Liberty

One who demonstrates their beliefs in the constitutional freedoms of our country and is innovative and self-driven exemplifies Liberty. Stout lives the virtue of Liberty in her daily life by trying to make sure everyone receives the rights that they deserve. She is involved in Model UN, where she sets up events to help educate teens about various injustices happening in the world today. She enjoys this club and drives others to recognize and practice Liberty in their own lives. She plans to major in international relations in college.

“I enjoy helping people who don’t have the rights and liberties that I am blessed with,” said Stout.
Alex Cammarata: Equality

A student who exemplifies Equality demonstrates fairness in opportunity. The student leads this virtue by example and action. Cammarata demonstrates the virtue of Equality in his life by trying to give everyone an equal opportunity regardless of the situation. He is an ideal role model for anyone to have, being very active in his youth group, clubs and sports. Despite a busy schedule, Cammarata always does his best to portray Equality every single day.

“Receiving this award has been very exciting and I hope that I can continue to spread equality wherever I go,” said Cammarata.
Sean Rebeck: Law

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Law is one who seeks to know the truth and its actions. This student pursues guidelines and boundaries and alters his or her behavior accordingly. Rebeck has always been interested in law, and enjoys learning how it works and its meaning as a whole. He sees this award as a major personal accomplishment and an encouraging push to excel in the future.

“I respect the law and follow the rules it sets in my everyday life. Without law, there would not be much direction in my life,” said Rebeck.
Theo Pardee: Justice

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Justice in one who demonstrates decision and judgment capabilities. Our system seeks to attain justice through weighing both sides of an issue, and this student is concerned with what is ethical in law and action. It’s a student who is considerate and humble, not just thinking of himself or herself. This award suits Pardee extremely well, as he portrays Justice in his every day life by keeping an open mind and being fair to everyone. Never quick to judge, he analyzes all aspects of a situation before making a final decision.

“This award is an honor to me as I try to live a life based on justice, so I appreciate being recognized for my actions,” said Pardee.
Madeline Weston: Fraternity

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Fraternity is one who promotes the togetherness of the student body. The student demonstrates an attitude of cohesion and friendliness. Weston exemplifies this virtue in her life by reaching out to others every day. She is a friendly, positive and outgoing young woman who is extremely involved in her school. From working at St. Dominic trivia night to playing on the girls soccer team, Weston is a well-rounded individual who tries to be a friend to all.

“It is cool to receive an award for something that typically would go unrecognized,” said Weston.
Grace Patton: Education

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Education is one who stands for the ideals of the process. It is one who demonstrates the influence and perpetuation of information as they shape and define who he or she becomes. Patton is a perfect example of the virtue of education because of her volunteer work in her community. She has been teaching children about their faith at Vacation Bible School every summer since the fifth grade, along with volunteering at various other camps. This year, she has also coached two eighth grade cheer teams and helped prepare them for a successful high school career. Patton is very giving of her time and considerate to others’ needs. She has always wanted to be a teacher, and desires to help others find their path in life.

“I’m extremely honored to be recognized in this way and I hope to be able to make an impact on others, like my past teachers have made on me,” said Patton.
Ryan Santel: Progress

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Progress is one who promotes positive changes in the school or community – whether it is standing up for rules or becoming the leader of a new student organization. This student is one who takes the school or community beyond the present and sends it moving forward into an era of change. Santel lives this virtue in his everyday life. He works at H.E.C. (Handicapped Encounter Christ) Camp which is a weekend-long camp where he feeds, bathes, prays and plays with disabled children. It requires a lot of dedication and humility to partake in an activity such as this, and this clearly shows Santel’s responsibility and drive to make the world a better place. His time dedicated to working at this camp is a prime example of why Santel is the most deserving of this award.

“It feels good to be recognized for making a difference in my community,” said Santel.
Shelby Orf: Honor

A student who demonstrates an act of unwavering integrity, who volunteers his or her effort behind the scenes and who portrays loyalty when there is little or no personal gain or recognition shows the virtue of Honor. This definition perfectly describes Orf. She strives every day to treat others with honor while staying true to her beliefs. One way that she exemplifies this virtue in her own life is through volunteer work at Vacation Bible School over the summer. She helps children learn more about their faith and she shares her own beliefs with them as well. This is just one example of her behind-the-scenes work when there is no personal gain or recognition received.

“Even though life isn’t fair, I try to treat everyone with fairness. I hope that everyone can learn the importance of respect as well,” said Orf.
Kristina Green: Truth

This student is one who perseveres until the ultimate answer is revealed. Green is the perfect example of someone who lives out the virtue of Truth in her daily life. She is the kind of person who does not stop until she finds the ultimate answer in a situation. Green is a problem solver and engages herself in improving her school, community and peers. She does not settle for anything less than the ultimate outcome, and this is why she is the best recipient for the award of Truth.

“This award means that the teachers and faculty feel that I am a truthful person. This means a lot to me, coming from them. It gives me reassurance that I am someone who works hard and always wants to know all the information so my hard work can be fulfilled,” said Green.
Lauren Thomas: Virtue

A student who exemplifies Virtue is one of outstanding moral character. This student not only conducts himself or herself with moral excellence, this student stands for moral excellence. Thomas exemplifies this award in her life by standing up for her beliefs and values, even when questioned or tested by peer pressure or outside forces. She is strong and stands true to herself, a quality that is essential to maturing both physically and mentally. Thomas is honest and will express her opinion or view on a topic, even if it isn’t the most popular.

“Receiving this award really opened my eyes to how important keeping your morals straight is. We should all keep in mind how important it is to take care of ourselves,” said Thomas.
Max Relling: Temperance

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Temperance is one who demonstrates moderate behavior —one who rarely gets worked up over situations, one who can remain calm in threatening situations. This award suits Relling perfectly, and he clearly lives it out every day. If a teacher instructs the class to pair up, Relling is the person who goes out of his way to make sure that no one is left out. He is a very patient person and a friend to all. Relling, humbled by this award, is honored to receive the title of Temperance.

“I have a lot of patience, and this really helps me enjoy any situation that I am in,” said Relling.
Zach Worster: Enterprise

A student who deserves the award of Enterprise demonstrates an innovative and creative energy. The virtue of Enterprise represents the forefront in management ability and technique. Worster exemplifies this award in his life by his active and engaged participation in community service and athletics. His service allows him to contribute to the cohesion and success of many different projects. His involvement in sports defines his true character as he supports his teammates, while setting an example of good sportsmanship as well.

“It is nice to be recognized by the school community for my efforts,” said Worster.
Liz Wagner: Charity

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Charity is one who is a true philanthropist. This student is willing to even the score with those who are less fortunate. The virtue of Charity can be abstract or concrete in the student’s behavior. Wagner portrays Charity through her volunteer work with the Special Olympics and Crisis Nursery. She also began a service-based youth group at her middle school in which she continues to take part. Wagner is most deserving of this award because of her dedication to helping her peers make a difference in their community and world.

“It’s an honor for me and for the entire Youth SVDP organization because it’s validation that we’re making a difference,” said Wagner.

These fourteen extraordinary individuals have made a mark on their school and community in various different ways. It is important to recognize them and show that their work is appreciated, and the Glory Awards do just this. These students traveled to Jefferson City on March 14 to receive their awards. Congratulations to all of the Glory Award recipients.