You’re Someone’s Type

Senior Alison Brendle holding Ms. Zilka’s hand while she donates blood.

February of 2016 marked the year of the third annual Mercy blood drive at St. Dominic High School. Over 100 students registered and donated blood on Wednesday, February 17. Like last year, the drive was a huge success and exceeded all expectations.

Members of student council, faculty and other volunteers all contributed to the success. The volunteers fetched students from classes, helped in the registration area, handed out food at the canteen station and kept donors relaxed while they gave blood.

“We saved lives today. We made real, significant changes in people’s lives. I helped the donors go through smoothly so we could save as many lives as possible,” said Joey Kuhn, the vice president of student council.

There were several people who donated both this year and last year. Their main reason for donating again was because of the great experiences they had last year, and they felt empowered knowing the difference they were making.

“I donated blood last year and the year before that, so I was excited to donate again this year and say that I have donated every time I was eligible,” said senior Liz Langdon.

Many students and teachers, including Mr. Struttmann, gave blood for the first time this year. Mr. Struttmann had a good experience, other than the fact that his blood squirted all over his pants. Although this was slightly scary to him, he had to see the humor in it. Others saw the humor in this too, like Ms. Thomas, who couldn’t stop laughing.

“It will definitely be a memorable first time giving. I think that it might have been my punishment for not giving sooner in life,” said Mr. Struttmann.

The students at St. Dominic saved numerous lives by donating their blood at the annual blood drive. Our school couldn’t pull it off without the generous amount of student and faculty donors and the time commitment of the volunteers.