The T.U.R.K.E.Y. Tournament: A Way To Give Thanks

On November 22, St. Dominic will be hosting the first ever T.U.R.K.E.Y. (Together Uniting Remarkable Kids Each Year) Tournament. At this event, disabled children ages four to 18 are invited to participate in games, crafts, and sports, watch a live performance by the Children’s Theatre Class and much more!

The idea for the T.U.R.K.E.Y. Tournament originated in Mrs. Overberg’s Leadership class as a service project for the school to host this year.

“I believe God is always calling us to do something beyond ourselves. The T.U.R.K.E.Y. Tournament is is not only a time to have fun with the kids, but a time where we can all encounter Christ through the kids we are working with,” said Erin Prendergast, a member of the Leadership class.

After working hard, the class successfully created and planned the event and hope for a wonderful turnout.

“I think that it will have a greater impact on our student volunteers than the children who come because any time you perform a selfless act, you grow as a person in faith, maturity and in your ability to love and serve others,” said dean of students Mrs. Joyce.

My 13-year-old brother, Ryan Schulte, has Cerebral Palsy and cannot walk. The one major downside to his disability is his challenge to make friends.  The children who will be coming to the T.U.R.K.E.Y. Tournament are similar to Ryan and will not care what activities they are doing, as long as they have a friend to do it with.

“I am excited for the T.U.R.K.E.Y. Tournament because other kids with disabilities like me get to meet and hang out with each other. We can all relate to each other.  It is always fun making new friends and I especially like hanging out with high schoolers because they are really cool and fun,” said Schulte.

The Leadership class would like to invite all St. Dominic students to volunteer for the T.U.R.K.E.Y. Tournament on Sunday, November 22, from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Come with an open heart and friendly attitude. There will be various activities for volunteers to help with such as coloring, book reading, playing sports and singing Disney songs with the children.  It does not take much to make their day and provide them with a sense of belonging.

“I definitely hope that this will be an event that will continue to grow in years to come and be a way for St. Dominic students to leave their mark on the world,” said Mrs. Joyce.

Call/text Madigan Schulte at (636) 614-6312 or email [email protected] if you are interested in volunteering for this event or want more information. It is a great way to give back to the community, and with Thanksgiving coming up, these kids can remind us that we should never take our abilities for granted.