Summer Jobs for Students

Freddys+is+a+great+summer+job+for+those+looking.+

Mya Roberson

Freddys is a great summer job for those looking.

Working a summer job is a reality for many high schoolers. Whether they’re saving for college, a car, or just looking for something to do, teenagers find themselves spending their summers working. 

Working seasonally as a teenager comes with challenges. Your job may eat up time that could be spent with your friends, on vacations, at camps, playing sports, or pursuing other opportunities. These jobs may be more demanding, but they can still be an opportunity in themselves. 

“I look for good money, but also opportunities to have fun and learn useful skills for the future,” junior Maddie Vogler said. 

Students tend to prefer working in an uplifting environment, especially over summers. They look for positive attributes in their employers, coworkers, and workplace before committing to a job. They also look for jobs they will enjoy doing and grow from. 

“I’m considering daycares because I absolutely love kids. I’m also considering the small shops in my area because it seems like a relaxed environment,” Vogler said. 

Having a summer job can be tedious, but they can have lots of benefits. Students are able to gain experience for future professional situations, and it also provides a sense of financial independence, as well as practice for managing your schedule as an adult. They can also just be a fun way to fill your day and meet new people. 

“I chose to work to raise money for college and a trip I am going on this summer, but I also just enjoy working and going to my job,” junior Aidan Carney said. 

Working over the summer rather than during the school year is more manageable for many students. This gives them more flexibility and more control over their own schedules, and it allows them to work as often as they would like. 

“I prefer working during the summer. It’s just easier to set up your schedule, and during the school year you get worn out easy. I work as much as I can, sometimes around like 25 hours a week,” Carney said. 

Working during the summer provides unique opportunities for students to develop skills necessary for their adult lives, as well as simply a fun new experience. Consider applying for a job this summer!