Blood Drive is Back!

SDHS Twitter

The St. Dominic NHS held its annual blood drive in conjunction with Mercy as faculty, staff and students donated

Last Friday, St. Dominic’s National Honors Society hosted their annual blood drive with Mercy Hospital. The blood drive lasted during the whole school day, with around 74 donors present. Thanks to our generous community, there were about 55 total pints of blood donated.

Each member of NHS volunteered to help with the blood drive in a different way. Some helped with preparation by signing up donors or soliciting canteen donations. Whereas other students escorted kids from their classes the day of the blood drive, checked donors in and most importantly comforted the donors!

Senior and NHS member Lexi Bross, did her part by donating blood last Friday. She recalled the whole process took about 30 minutes and actually giving blood only took about 10. Bross also stated that she could even feel the blood pumping out of her body, but she did not think it was painful like she expected.

“I decided to give blood because it could potentially save a life! It’s our duty as Catholics to help those in need and this is one way that I can help! I strongly encourage others who can give blood to do so,” Bross said.

Mrs. Goins, the head of NHS, has been organizing this event through St. Dominic for 3 years. She loves being able to help out around school and give back to the community.

“Our students are able to directly impact the community by helping those in need. There is a constant need for blood donations throughout the region, and our drive helps people hospitalized with various medical conditions, victims of accidents, and others in need of blood. NHS students who volunteer at the drive live out the Dominican pillars of community and service while leading their classmates in a worthy cause,” Mrs. Goins said.

Working with Mercy Hospital upholds St. Dominic’s pillar of community and service by reminding our students that we are all called each and everyday to help those in need. Last week was a great week of giving for our school community, and we are proud of everyone who participated!