Showing School Spirit

Megan Gilmore

Fellow Crusaders showed their pride with their best winning costumes for homecoming spirit week

St. Dominic’s homecoming spirit week took place the week of September 21 through the 25. While the homecoming dance was delayed, us Crusaders still got the opportunity to wear some of our best costumes for each theme provided each day in order to win prizes.

The theme for Monday was comfy vs. classy. Sophomores and seniors walked into school wearing their comfiest clothes like pajamas, sweats and sweatshirts. The freshman and juniors went all out with their classy theme. Students showed up in dresses, ties and even heels. Senior Bryce Little won the comfy competition dressed out in an oversized blanket sweatshirt, and junior Max Williams pulled up in his classy suit and hat, winning the classy competition as well.

Tuesday’s theme, tie-dye vs. camo, left the Crusaders in some of the coolest and unique costumes. Sophomores and seniors arrived wearing their best camo or hunting gear, while freshman and juniors arrived in the most colorful tie-dye tees, socks, and masks. One senior winner, Tyler Soval, walked in dressed head to toe in camouflage, earning his winning position.

On Wednesday, country vs. hawaiian left the students of St. Dominic in a huge competition of who was dressed best. Sophomores and seniors said “yee haw!” in their country apparel consisting of cowboy hats, flannels and boots. One senior winner, Emily Lieraunce, even brought in a wooden horse, completely deserving her win. Freshman and juniors said “aloha” in their hawaiian skirts, leis and flowers. Junior Caroline Cunningham earned her win with her colorful and appealing hawaiian costume and flowers.

Thursday’s theme was one of the most liked by St. Dominic students: dad vs. jersey. Sophomores and seniors raided their father’s closests looking for the best costume to match the “dad” stereotype. Senior Cate Cato arrived in a BBQ apron, fitting the dad theme perfectly. Keeping up with the theme, senior Logan Weindel brought in a cooler, lugging it around all day. Freshman and juniors pulled out their favorite jerseys from basketball, hockey and baseball teams.

For the last day of spirit week, the theme was blue vs. white. Sophomores and seniors blinded eyes with their best white gear! Senior Kannon Patterson shined bright with his white apparel from head to toe. Freshman and juniors left others speechless, showing their pride in some of their best blue outfits consisting of blue crowns, feathers and hats.

Even though the week didn’t end with a dance as usual,we still got to experience the fun of a little extra competition and the homecoming football game! The dance is planned to hopefully happen sometime early next year, so stay tuned.