The Bookkeeper

Mrs. Fridley

Almost everyone in the St. Dominic community knows Mrs. Fridley as the caring woman who sometimes kicks unproductive students out of the library. However, she also leads a life of faith and maintains strong relationships with her family and students.

For her education, Mrs. Fridley attended the University of Missouri Columbia to earn her undergraduate degree as Bachelor of Science and Education. Then, she went to Lindenwood University to get her Masters in Library Science. She began teaching as an elementary teacher in the Hazelwood school district for years and transitioned to a librarian when the job opened up.

“I became a librarian because I’ve always been interested in reading with elementary students…the rest is history,” said Fridley.

Mrs. Fridley applied for the position at St. Dominic when a friend told her of Sister Jean’s retirement and the school gladly accepted her into the community.

“I find the students here are much more cooperative, generally willing to work, and more polite. It’s just a completely different atmosphere,” said Fridley.

Though Mrs. Fridley’s official school duties are that of a librarian, she goes beyond the job requirements by acting as a friend and advisor to students who need it. She impacts students’ lives in a positive way by spreading joy and giving life lessons.

“I hope I teach students primarily to care for one another and treat each other with respect. I hope I show them how to help one another,” said Fridley.

As anyone who talks to her knows, Mrs. Fridley places high value on her family. She met her husband Bill while they were both working as camp counselors–and they will celebrate their 48th anniversary this November. Together, they have a daughter Laura and now also have three young grandchildren: Britton, Ethan and Louie.

Another thing Mrs. Fridley values just as much as her family is her faith. She attends Dardenne Presbyterian Church, where she is involved with reading the scripture, ushering, working Vacation Bible School and even was a deacon. Mrs. Fridley values working in a private school where she can share her faith with the students. When her friend’s grandson was struggling with his non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, she asked the students in the library to say a prayer for him.

Mrs. Fridley, a woman of faith and family, is a unique asset to the St. Dominic community. If anyone needs a smile or some life advice, her door is always open.