Event Alert: Senior Edition

This year will be full of ups and downs for our senior class. With a crazy year ahead, here’s a look ahead to the events these seniors will partake in.

Senior Service Hour Deadlines
In order to graduate, seniors need 25 hours for each year they are at Saint Dominic. In their senior year, however, there are some special perks to getting these hours done early. Senior privilege is available for students who have completed 15 hours of service through the non-profit agency of their choice by August 23. January 10 is the second deadline to turn in the rest of these hours for senior privilege. No need to fear though, as the final deadline for service hours to graduate is not until March 15. Make sure to get those hours done!

Each senior gets to choose one agency to work with for their senior year.

“As my senior service project, I worked with Whole Kids Outreach. At this camp, I helped educate and strengthen kids. I helped them become better swimmers and helped with arts and crafts,” Corey Havrilla said.

Senior Overnight Retreat
Seniors have three opportunities to attend an overnight retreat driven to help them improve their faith throughout this tough and stressful time. This retreat will give these students the drive to enjoy the rest of their final year at Saint Dominic.

“I’m excited to bond with other people in my class and make some great memories on my final high school retreat,” Nate Johnson said.

Senior Service Day
If seniors choose not to attend an overnight retreat, the service day options are designed to help the seniors give back to the community for the last time as a class. They will go out and serve the community in new ways, in hopes to build new friendships and assist those in need.

“I’m excited to see how everything we do affects the people we help. Just seeing the smile on their faces is worth it for me,” Joseph Pescarino said.

Semester Exams
Halfway through the year, right before Christmas break, Saint Dominic’s semester exams take place. This is the last time these seniors will be taking their finals on a normal schedule. This marks the halfway point in the year, but the months to come after will fly by.

“Having a plan is just as important as actually hitting the books. I first map out how much I’ll need to study in each class, then slot out a couple hours ahead of time proportionately,” Marc Rosner said.

National Signing Day
This day is driven towards our young athletes taking the next step to play their sport of desire in college. National Signing Day is an event in which seniors officially sign their letters of intent to play a sport at their choice of college. Jackson Dearing has committed to play at Jefferson College and looks forward to this day especially.

“I’m looking forward to developing the best I can over the next year. I also look forward to one final ride with my teammates in an effort to win state,” Jackson Dearing said.

Prom
The seniors’ last prom will be an experience like no other. From the pictures before the dance to the late nights with your friends, this night for the juniors and seniors is full of fun dancing, talking and even food!

“What I’m going to miss about prom after this year is getting pictures with all of my friends,” Skylar Hollingshead said.

Graduation
The final event on the senior calendar and definitely the most emotional will be graduation, when the seniors will celebrate the last four years in a beautiful ceremony hosted at Saint Joseph Cottleville Church. Here, these students celebrate their academic honors and receive their diplomas with their friends and family present.

“I will be feeling both nervous and excited, because it’s an end to a great journey here at Saint Dominic and the nerve-racking start to the rest of our lives,” Lily McKnight said.

Senior year is always an emotional roller coaster, and this year will be no exception. After graduation, the 2019-2020 class looks to the future as they move on to the next part of their lives.