Continuing with God in College

In our community of cradle Catholics, college will be the most severe adversity to our faith we have ever faced. Many people lose their faith in high school, and there’s no doubt that even more will fall away during college. For those planning on staying with the faith, hold your rosaries tight because it will be wilder than Elijah’s flaming chariot ride.

We are a part of what some people call the Catholic school trap. Our opportunity to maintain and strengthen our faith has been presented on a platter right in front of us. Monthly all-school mass with weekly mass in the chapel, along with routine chances to go to confession has spoiled us. In college, no one is going to tell you to go to mass on Sunday. The responsibility falls on our shoulders.

Retreats provide a good way to really experience God, but in my opinion, the best way to keep your faith is through routine mental prayer and having friends that challenge you to be better. One person that has done this for me is an SDHS alumni, a Truman State University student and my sister, Hannah Faust.

“At Dominic or any private school you’re surrounded by people with similar backgrounds and beliefs and that’s totally different at college. The hardest part is not second guessing your faith while everyone is challenging what you’ve always believed,” said Faust.

The change in culture from high school to college is very apparent. Oftentimes the adversity comes from our peers who grew up in different backgrounds.

“A lot of people like to argue about religion, and they do their research. You have to be really informed and calm to respond because they will call you out on any uncertainties and make judgments based on your actions,” said Faust.

Although many people think they have strong arguments that debunk all religion, our very own Mr. Nathan Doerr suggests that to combat arguments and objections, we must be informed to defend our faith. He strongly recommends reading to sharpen our minds and to teach us exactly what Catholicism teaches and why.

Entering into college, Hannah was very active in the Church. An important part of the faith is community.Changing communities can be very difficult, but Hannah finds refuge and courage in the Church.

“I love going to mass here and seeing all the other college students living their faith with me,” said Faust.

Beyond that, Hannah enthusiastically talked about the Newman center. Newman centers are almost like college youth groups; they are places where Catholic students gather to further their faith in a supportive community.

“I can’t begin to explain how important that place is to me! The people there are my second family and have definitely helped me keep my faith in college,” said Faust.

Perhaps one of the best parts of being alive in faith is the opportunity to be a witness. Having joy is one thing, but spreading it causes the flame to grow.

“One of my favorite things that happened last year was going to Ash Wednesday mass in the morning, then going to class with ashes on. One of my friends asked ‘what’s on your head?’ and I got to explain the whole Ash Wednesday/Lent/Easter topic; being able to do that made me smile,” said Faust.

In the end, God wants what’s best for us. I can confidently say that no one in their senior year of high school knows God’s plan for them, but I can guarantee that if they live His plan, they will find peace and prosper. By trusting and praying to God for guidance, we will not be led astray. Although we will be constantly tested with the stress of school, we can always find consolation in the pews of a Church.

He gives power to the faint, abundant strength to the weak. Though young men faint and grow weary, and youths stagger and fall, they that hope in the LORD will renew their strength, they will soar on eagles’ wings; they will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint” (Isaiah 40:29-31).