Senior Reflection: Influential Teachers

Now that the seniors graduate in less than a week, they will be doing a lot of reflecting until the day they move their tassels. The first and most important thing that comes to mind for the seniors is who has impacted them during their time at St. Dominic. Several seniors recalled their favorite memories with the most influential teachers.

Senior Lauren Thomas mentioned Mr. Daniel Hancock, a literature teacher and the girls varsity lacrosse coach. Her favorite memory with him was when he played the trap remix of the Twentieth Century Fox track during class per her request.

Senior Lauren Thomas and Mr. Hancock

Mr. Hancock teaches and connects to students on a more personal level, making him one of the most influential teachers I’ve had,” said Thomas.

Senior Camryn Weber discussed Mr. Noah Duncan, a teacher who coaches softball and tennis while also teaching journalism and literature classes. Weber credits Mr. Duncan for helping her to rediscover her love of literature.

“The last class of Twenty-first Century Novels, we had to roleplay the zombie apocalypse. Mr. Duncan eradicated my group immediately, and it was super funny,” said Weber.

Senior Nick Schulte attests to the influence Mr. Nathan Doerr, a religion teacher and leader of the Viri Dei club. One of the reasons Schulte appreciates Mr. Doerr is because he has never learned more from a religion class.

“There was one class where he taught with a speaker and microphone because Jeremy Mudd said he couldn’t hear him. He ran out of the classroom and came back with it. He turned it up all the way before teaching the rest of the class with it,” said Schulte.

Senior Nick Schulte and Mr. Doerr

Senior Liz Wilhelms chose Mr. Jason Asher as her most influential teacher here at St. Dominic. Mr. Asher teaches social studies and is in charge of an array of clubs: Mock Trial, Model UN and Youth and Government. Since there were too many good memories to choose from, Wilhelms said her favorite part about Mr. Asher as a whole is that he converses with students in a manner that builds a friendship on top of the traditional student-teacher relationship.

“He is real and open about how high school runs,” said Wilhelms.

These seniors are just a few who are thankful for the teachers they’ve encountered here at St. Dominic. However, it isn’t a one-way street. Teachers are also thankful when students genuinely appreciate them for all they do. So take a moment to recognize those teachers who you appreciate before drawing your high school experience to a close.